Saturday, July 3, 2010

Detox

An important value in social work is the strength’s perspective. It’s where you look at the strengths of an individual or group or community, and you figure out how to empower them in a way that uses and highlights their strongest attributes.

Dominicans are a people completely consumed by the present moment. While some would say their lack of planning and punctuality is exactly why this is still a developing country, I would argue that their ability to recognize the value of the here and now is extremely powerful. Their primary concern is relationships, not productivity and definitely not efficiency. Thus, life seems to move at a much slower pace down here. Being here is like going through detox. My stress, my frustrations, my impatience, my constant need for multi-tasking, and the general fast-paced busyness of American culture are literally being flushed out of my system. (And I definitely experience withdrawal from time to time...) Every day we have a one to two hour siesta. It gives me time to rest, to recharge, to read, to play with the kids, and to simply think and reflect. In the Dominican, all that exists is the here and the now.

The now is always here and that’s all we ever have. Tomorrow is a then; yesterday was a then; this fall at Taylor is a then; going back home is a then.

So how do the strengths of this people come into play with regards to social work on a macro level? How can this community, or this entire country for that matter, continue to develop without ever having a sense of urgency or efficiency? (This is something I am constantly mulling over, so I would love your thoughts!)

5 comments:

  1. I guess it depends on what or whose definition of "developed" you are using.

    This makes me think of "the now and the not yet" in scripture:
    1John 3:2
    "Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is."

    Now we know in part, then we will know in full.
    We do live in the "now", but are continually moving toward the "not yet".
    Continue on your journey; grow with your experiences!

    Love,
    Mrs. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christina,
    We received your "farwell" letter today...I will definately journey with you in your blog...I have no words of wisdom for your new experience but know I will pray for you to see with His eyes, feel with His heart and be forever changed by the children and people of the DR.
    Momma Boss

    ReplyDelete
  3. gooood questions! focusing on the strengths - that's so important!

    I think a culture without a sense of urgency or efficiency is a great environment for the creative-types... and for those who like to work with their hands. Because there isn't a sense of urgency, artists can take as much time as they feel necessary to create something beautiful. Hand-made international items can really sell for a lot! Maybe you can hire some of these people for your basket-weaving business when you move to iceland. ;)

    I think this part of their culture can make for a lot of quality work that goes beyond the quality of those who work towards mass production...

    And if they're not good with their hands/creative/artistic.... there must be some other jobs that require taking a lot of time - this is assuming that though they're not pressured by time, they're not lazy.

    liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissy..I'm lovin' your blog. I need to get the girls back on here with me to catch up with what you are doing!

    I enjoyed the depth of your perspective on this issue....focusing on the given moment in time, not the future is very prevalant in underdeveloped countries. My girlfriend went to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in January, and she mentioned the same thing about their culture. How can one think about tomorrow when they are so busy thinking about how far they need to walk for some water, or what scraps they will have for dinner? I read a great book a while back by Ruby Payne titled "A Framework for Understanding Poverty". The book was written primarily for educators in the US and other developed nations, but when I read your blog it reminded me of the book. The culture that you are experiencing in the DR is one of poverty and dire conditions. The people there have very different ways of expressing emotions and building relationships than most middle class people. I believe to help this community we first need to understand how they think. You are doing that through some of the skits you mentioned. When we gain knowledge and understanding of a community we can then develop strategies for helping them at their level. This community can still be productive by focusing on small tasks that they can do each day.

    Keep up the great work...
    Love, Aunt Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. you sound like such a social worker aunt andrea! thanks for your insight!

    and that book is excellent...i read it for a class this past fall. really good point.

    ReplyDelete